Sunday, January 27, 2013

The "Human War" in Ginsberg's America


            When reading Allen Ginsberg's poem "America," I was slightly confused by a reference Ginsberg makes about his uncle, especially because this detail is so restrained compared to some of the other images Ginsberg evokes in other poems. After spending some time admonishing America, Ginsberg says, "America I still haven't told you what you did to Uncle / Max after he came over from Russia." This particular phrase struck me because it contrasted so heavily with  part one of "Howl," in which Ginsberg's language and use of imagery is bold, graphic, and what many people may classify as explicit. In both "Howl" and "America," some of the experiences are personal, and others are more generalized views of American culture and the characteristics of Ginsberg's generation. Uncle Max is a figure taken directly from Ginsberg's life, yet there is a distance and caution expressed within this phrase. I would classify this line as subtle, delicate, and  easily forgotten, which is why I found it so intriguing. This declaration is simple and serves as the final line of a stanza, with no explanation or further mention in the text. Other than sounding menacing, I wasn't sure what to make of this statement, so I tried looking up some information on Uncle Max. I didn't find anything of consequence other than a few mentions of him in published volumes of Ginsberg's personal letters.
            Since I couldn't find any concrete information, I read the poem again and focused on the broader treatment of marginalized figures in America. Since Ginsberg's family was Jewish, perhaps the connection comes in anti-Semitism and the poor reception of immigrants in some parts of the country. Although this particular scene seems to be directly from Ginsberg's perspective, he also adopts an anonymous speaker engaging in a conversation with a personified America. The speaker makes a more direct reference to religion in the statement, "My ambition is to be President despite the fact that I'm / a Catholic." Since "America" was written in 1956, I think it's not unreasonable to assume that this figure is John F. Kennedy, who won the presidency in 1960. Four years prior, Kennedy was nominated for the office of Vice President at the 1956 Democratic National Convention in August, but lost, possibly due to the poor reception of his religion. However, Ginsberg published his poem in January, so the timeline isn't perfect, but I still believe that Ginsberg is speaking to the marginalization of Catholicism in American culture. Even though this particular form of religious discrimination is not one that many people immediately think of, it works well within Ginsberg's overall theme.
            Ginsberg also brings up many instances of ethnic, racial, and legal discrimination, in the following direct appeals:
-"America free Tom Mooney": Mooney was arrested and convicted for participating in the Preparedness Day Bombing of 1916, which took place during a parade focusing on America's entry into the first World War. However, many people thought Mooney was wrongfully convicted and he was seen as a political prisoner.
-"America Sacco & Vanzetti must not die": Sacco and Vanzetti were Italian immigrants who were executed for murder, but many people believe their trial to be unjust due to their ethnicity and suspected anarchist sentiments.
-"America I am the Scottsboro boys": This is a reference to a group of African American boys who were accused of rape in 1931, but were subjected to an unjust, fixed, and overtly racist trial.             
To be honest, I found myself doing a lot of research between stanzas of "America" because it wasn't a poem I could read passively. Reduced to a simple theme, I think Ginsberg's poem speaks to the personal responsibility associated with living in any country, especially in terms of making decisions and receiving information. Ginsberg asks, "Are you going to let your emotional life be run by / Time Magazine?," and I think he is encouraging people to look past the obvious social or political story and seek information and understanding in what you believe to be the truth, whether or not it is the popular idea. I personally felt that Ginsberg's poetry was more relevant to me than On the Road, especially for the utilization of social history and the work the poetry demanded for understanding. 

1 comment:

  1. I can sympathize with you in the poem "America" because it contained a lot of historical elements that required research in order to make connections. I had a little trouble making connections with some of his lines but Uncle Max I understood to represent Uncle Sam but as a mockery. He did this with "Howl" in Poem III with the Star Spangled Banner. It actually reads "O starry / spangled shock of mercy" giving the tone of sarcasm. I like how you related to the poem as well, that is what made your blog much more interesting, because you took a personal interest in having a keen insight to his message. I think if you add photos or links to your resources it would have made your page much more inviting. 0=)

    ReplyDelete